<-- Back to Building a Winning Finance Team Series
Building Strong and Motivated Finance Teams
- Be authentic. Be honest about weaknesses.
- Communicate feelings as well as ideas.
- ‘Walk the talk’.
- Keep your word and support others in doing so.
- Demonstrate commitment.
- Show your values and moral purpose.
Handling Conflict effectively
- Examine your own attitudes towards conflict and if you are not confident about dealing with it learn the skills to address it positively.
- Establish team rules for handling conflict successfully.
- Agree with your team how members will behave when conflict breaks out.
Addressing lack of Commitment
- Review commitments at the end of each meeting and ensure all team members are aligned.
- Make it clear to team members that it is ok to disagree but after a certain point the team still expects commitment to action. Are you on the bus?
Supporting Team Members in being accountable
- Explicitly communicate about goals and standards of behaviour.
- Regularly discuss performance versus goals and standards.
- Uphold the standards the team has set.
Focussing on Results
- Keep the team focussed on tangible group goals.
- Reward individuals based on team goals and collective success.
- Publicly recognise contributions.
The new demands on Finance Teams
It is no longer enough to ‘know the numbers’. There is a need for:
- Commerciality and forward thinking.
- Strategic planning for growth.
- Excellent communication skills.
Leadership - The personal challenges
- To understand self and others.
- Employ smart people who compensate for your weaknesses.
- To develop effective political skills.
- To make quick decisions with insufficient information.
If you're a hiring manager overwhelmed with the hiring process or just don't have the time to conduct a thorough search, Halcyon Finance & Accounting can carry out every step as outlined above. Feel free to review our hiring process and contact us to discuss in greater detail.
How can we help? Please let us know how we can support you or your business?